Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Children In The Grocery Store

We have all seen this scene in the grocery store.  A couple of kids being troublesome and an exasperated mother following with the cart saying things like..."don't touch that", "no we are not getting that, put it back", "watch where you are going, you almost ran into that person".

The kids run all over the store causing a ruckus where ever they go and by the time they reach the check out line the poor mothers eye is twitching and she is a breath away from completely snapping.

Then it happens.  The kids start fighting over a used candy wrapper found on the floor.  One wants to keep it and make a lovely piece of jewelry not seen since the days of King Tut.  The other wants to throw it in the trash where it belongs.  You see the creative side of one child whos imagination is limitless and the other who wants to protect Mother Earth and do the right thing.

The altercation escalates into near fisticuffs.  Thats when you see Mom snap.  She yells at the children at the top of her lungs, scaring the poor check out girl, the children and stunning the rest of the patrons of the store.  You, along with everyone else just stare at this woman in disbelief.  One of several thoughts run through you mind...1)I'm glad that's not me.  2)Been there, done that. 3)Those children are awful, my children would never act like that in public. 4)She is the worst Mother ever, she should have better control over her children.  Or, you are like me and you think 5)Why God must my children act like this in public?  Are you testing me? Please give me the strength to keep from beating these children in front of You and everybody. Amen.

Yes, cabin fever has set into the Zumbiel household and 2 and 1/2 weeks is far too long for us to be cooped up together before we revert back to caveman like behavior.

But, Alas, the children are back at school today and the house is once again quiet.  Almost too quiet.  They sure can drive me crazy at times, but I do miss them when they are gone.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah- I love reading your blogs. You are a great writer-must run in the family! Talk to you soon---Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah - I think I'll be the last person on earth to get a blog - but I do love reading them! Hope you had a great Christmas! Let me guess Sydney was the Jewelry designer...I know this only because Loralai would have done the same thing! See ya soon--- Susan (Praying that same prayer weekly)

    ReplyDelete